Srah Srang


Constructed when: mid 10th and late 12th century
Constructed by: King Rajendravarman II and Jayavarman VII
Religion: Buddhist
Architectural style: Bayon
Location: adjacent to Banteay Kdei east gate, south of East Baray



It was first constructed in the mid-10th century, by initiative of Kavindrarimathana, buddhist minister of Rajendravarman II. Then it was modified about year 1200 by Jayavarman VII, who added the laterite landing-stage at its western side too, likely because the East Baray had been overwhelming by sediment and begun malfunctioning. French archeological expeditions have found a necropolis close to it.

At present Srah Srang measures 700 by 350 m and is still partially flooded. As other barays, maybe there was a temple standing on an artificial island in the middle of it, as suggested by finding of a basement. The landing-stage, opposite the entrance to Banteay Kdei, is a popular site for viewing the sunrise. It is cruciform, flanked by nāga balaustrades which end with the upright head of a serpent, mounted by a garuda with its wings unfurled. The steps that lead down to the water are flanked by two guardian leons.



Historical information and some descriptions of temple sites are sourced from the Angkor series of Wikipedia articles. This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. The main Wikipedia page on Angkor can be found at - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor